Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Who are you to hold me accountable?

Over the past few weeks, I have had several instances where I've said something or even posted something on Facebook that garnered less-than-impressive comments. Ouch. "Constructive criticism" can be somewhat painful. Until the Holy Spirit showed up and I "re-listened" to what was said and re-read what was written.  And then I see it.  I've stepped outside of my circle of salt and passed judgment on someone else.  Without knowing all the facts.  Without being aware of the circumstances.  Years ago, while under the teaching of Brother Tracey Smith, he told us not to look to the left or to the right when we heard a message, but to let the Light shine on us in our circle of salt.  Because of our (my) human flesh, I sometimes play hopscotch in my circle.  I hear a message and think it would be great if my friend, husband, sister, brother, whoever heard it!  Instead, what I should be doing is soaking it in and allowing the Holy Spirit to minister to my cracks and crevices. So that this broken pot can continue to be refined.

As Pastor Buren says, until I have my own universe, I am not God.  He alone can judge another human being.  My job as a Christ-follower? To listen to the Holy Spirit, sprinkle what I say and write with compassion, love and caring. Because that's what He's called me to do.  He'll do the fixing, I just need to tell the tale of the redemption available at the Cross. I just need to love those who are unlovable.  Because sometimes? I'm unlovable too, even as a Christ-follower.

So keep me accountable. Hold me responsible for the words I say and write. I promise that any sting I feel will be a flesh wound and will heal quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you have a blog. I do too. Mine is Julie's Jewels at http://juliesjewels062694.blogspot.com/ and hope you can go by sometime and visit. I have had it for several years and have a lot of posts on it that you might find of interest.

    Love you and I'll be back here again.

    ReplyDelete