Monday, November 1, 2010

The first edition

For quite some time, I've wanted to write a blog.  Not because I think anyone is waiting anxiously to see what I have to say.  No, not at all.  Rather, I have always loved to write.  As a child.  As a teen.  As a young (and maybe now not-so young) adult.

But still I waited.  I joked over the years about how writing resumes and cover letters was how my desire to write was being fulfilled.  But was it?  Psalm 37:3-5 tells me very clearly to take delight in the Lord and He will give me the desires of my heart. So while I love writing what I call the 8x11 business cards for folks and thrill when they get the interview or the job, my desire has been to write children's books. Not long, fat, huge books that are hard for little hands to hold.  No. I want to take all the silly little stories in my heart and use them for easy-peasy books so that little ones learn how to read and start hiding His word in their hearts.

That's my not-so-secret secret.

My other?  I've been oh-so blessed to be able to work with kids since returning to Him in 1999.  I count only a few things as gifts.  All of my children.  And there are six when I add my daughter-in-love and heart daughter, two amazing women who have blessed me with five grandchildren.  My husband. My mom, who would be tickled pink if she were still here to see that I am finally, after some subtle (hah!) nudging from Dusty and Debbie, writing my heart. My dad, who against all odds, has taken a licking and is still ticking, finally in Jesus' name.  A sister and brother who are tops in my books. Some phenom friends.  An awesome church family. My beautiful grandchildren. My pets.  

But one gift I cherish above all? I love working with kids.  Absolutely love it.  Do I get exasperated at times? Yes, I'm human.  But they never know it.  Their little hearts are so open and ready for another person outside of their blood relative to care about them and their stuff.  Even the drama. The group of kids I'm blessed to be teaching now? God has clearly spoken and let me know that He wants me to take them "all the way through".  To what I have no idea.  Middle school? High school? College?  No matter.  Whatever He wants from me, I'll do it.  To the very best of my ability.

So with thanks to God who has birthed this desire in my heart, and to friends who lovingly pushed, prodded and possibly nagged....blogging has begun.

2 comments:

  1. I am so stinkin' proud of you....first of all.

    I am sooo thankful, SO thankful that God has placed you in Anna Takle's life. And, I LOVE this: "for another person outside of their blood relative to care about them and their stuff." That, my friend, is more powerful than we realize.

    Next? I'll start nudging you to write those children's books.

    I have a feeling your calling has yet to scratch the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Dusty, thank you! I have always felt, especially since I had some in my life, that when others are invested, the outcome is far better. Because I might not always have listened to my folks, but I listened to Carla and Lenny! And Frank!

    I think my calling has been simmering under the surface. Twice now during service I felt very convicted that it was time. Can't ignore that!

    ReplyDelete